If you currently own a business and you have a business attorney that you have on retainer you may want to ask your lawyer if he or she can handle this type of law or you may ask if they know any good intellectual property lawyers that they could refer you to. Intellectual property rights law is very technical and has many confusing facets, intellectual property lawyers will be able to take the head ache out of trademarks, copyrights and patents.
If you do not have a current attorney then you should start your search online or in your own local phone book as local intellectual property lawyers are equipped to help you with the red tape of intellectual property law. You should contact multiple intellectual property lawyers to see which lawyer’s credentials fit within your perimeters. You will need to research each layer before you take a meeting with them to see if they have a background in the sector of law that you need. When you start to meet with each of the intellectual property lawyers on your list you should ask many questions such as:
- How long have they been a part of the state bar association?
- If you need patent work does the lawyer have a license in patent law?
- How much do they charge per hour?
- How many cases have they had to go to court for?
- Have they even been brought before the local state bar for a reprimand?
- What type of legal associations are they a member of?
- Have they handled cases like your case before?
- If yes what was the outcome?
- Can you speak to some of their references?
You should make sure that the intellectual property lawyers that you speak with have local offices. You should ask to take a look at the agreement that you would sign if you were to retain their services. If at any point you do not feel like the lawyer you are speaking to is what you are looking for you should tell them that you will call on them later to let them know if you will need their services. You should feel 100% confident in the intellectual property lawyers that you speak to or hire. This type of law can get very expensive and you need to make sure that the lawyer you choose is someone you will be able to work with for the duration.